Winter in New England can be a beautiful time of the year. But for so many drivers, it can also be a treacherous one due to snowy roads. Your Cadillac dealership Lynnfield MA has a few tips that can help you stay safe and vigilant on the open road this winter:
- Carefully plan your trip. Whether you’re headed to the store or out of town, it’s important to plan ahead before setting off on your journey. Be sure to familiarize yourself with your planned route and check the local weather and road conditions before you go.
- Use gentle acceleration and deceleration. Hard acceleration can cause your vehicle’s tires to break traction while hard braking has the potential to put your vehicle into a skid. Slowly and carefully moderate your brake and accelerator inputs as you travel along snowy and icy roads.
- Drive a bit slower than usual. Since it takes longer to stop or change direction on icy and snowy roads, you should only travel at speeds that give you enough time to maneuver around unexpected obstacles. Keep in mind that the posted speed limits are meant for dry road conditions, not snowy ones.
- Increase your following distance. Under normal driving conditions, the three-second rule is usually enough to maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle ahead of yours. Under snowy conditions, however, you’ll need to double the following distance to compensate for longer braking times and delayed steering inputs.
- Pay extra attention when driving on bridges and overpasses. These tend to be the first places to ice over, which could cause you to lose control over your vehicle if you’re not careful. Drive cautiously and be on the lookout for black ice when traveling over a bridge or overpass.
- Don’t rely solely on your car’s driving aids. While features like the StabiliTrak® Electronic Stability Control System help you maintain control under low-traction conditions, you’re ultimately in control of how your vehicle operates. You shouldn’t rely solely on driving aids during snowy weather.
- Don’t be afraid to stop and rest. Lengthy trips in snowy weather can be exhausting at times, so it’s important to plan one or more rest stops during your journey. This gives you an opportunity to stretch out, rest or change drivers as needed.
Equipping your vehicle with high-quality snow tires for wintertime driving can give you a well-needed edge in terms of traction and handling. Your Cadillac dealership Lynnfield MA will gladly install your snow tires and perform a host of other checks to ensure your vehicle remains in excellent shape throughout the winter.